Sunday, July 7, 2013

Acting My Age

     This past weekend I went to New Hampshire for the holiday with family and friends. I had not seen my friends, two of which were 3-5 years younger than me, for quite a while. The moment we saw each other we were already hyped up and excited to see each other. Everyone got settled down into their own picnic areas and they soon approached me to hang out. The conversation usually always starts with how old I am and how old I forgot they were.

     “Oh, my God, I haven't seen you in so long! Wait, are you twenty now?”
     “Actually, I'm twenty-one,” I responded.
     “No way! You're so old! I never realize it when I'm talking to you.”

     I noticed that we got comfortable the moment we began speaking, choosing colloquial words and modern jargon that is characteristic of an established friendship. Our past contributed to a level of trust and intimacy that did not require formalities. We belonged to a speech community which contained dialogue developed by our shared cultural dynamics. Regardless of age, it was the commonality in our discourse that guided the interaction.

     The dynamics between the same friends and my sister were different from mine. They are much closer in age; however, their overall vibe was awkward and was more of an interaction between acquaintances. The dialogue was blunt and contained no depth; however I could still discern that they belonged to the same speech community – how? The dynamics changed again when they were speaking with an adult. Instantaneously, their tones became much softer and more reserved.

     I realized that, like discourse communities, speech communities needed specific requirements as well. I think the most important aspect would be culture because with culture comes certain customs based on age and gender. The linguistic rules we shared were subconscious and absolute. Between friends it was alright to be ourselves and to say whatever came to mind. When speaking with an adult, our tone adjusted based on age alone and the level of intimacy played no factor. I can see how speech communities could be seen as a singular unit such as New York City as well as a collection of speakers borrowing from each others' dialects (as mentioned in the Swales reading). If you look at the speech of the city as a whole, then we would be looking at the American culture and derive American social behavior – a single unit. If you look at the citizens themselves then we would be looking at different social interactions based on different beliefs and cultures – a collection of speakers living in one place. I agree that speech communities “absorb people into the general fabric” because it is a combination of adopting social behavior and applying patterns of use as social situations require.


7 comments:

  1. Its actually pretty amusing how much our surrounding affects our speech. My boyfriend came home on leave from the military this past week and his speech patterns and dialogue were almost completely different and I can only assume it was because of the people and situations he's experienced while being away. He began to sound like his old self after a couple days which just further proves the fact that our surroundings have a big impact on our speech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting observations, especially the discussion of changes in tone and vibe between different conversational partners. Even between people in the same discourse community, we change our tone, attitude, and topics of conversation to better relate to whoever we are talking with. For example, even though I'm close to all of my housemates, I am more passive in conversations with some of them and more active with others. Topics of conversation vary between them, but the tone and mood is almost always friendly and familiar. In this way, we able to alter all of these different factors of conversation to fit every situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. It is interesting that you stated that your friends dynamics changed when talking to your sister, even though they were actually closer in age. It's intriguing to think of what could have possibly influenced this shift, and that that affects their ability of being recognized as a discourse community. You and your friends have an established discourse community, but with your sister it seems as though this is not the case. Though, you do go on to say that you know they were part of the same speech community because of their similar dynamics when speaking to an adult. Based on this, it seems to be possible to be a part of the same speech community, while not being recognized as a discourse community, and it is thought-provoking to look at what exactly differed between you and your sister that changed the dynamics so extremely.

      Delete
    2. I contemplated on whether my friends and I shared membership in a discourse community or not. One of the requirements in accordance to the Swales reading mentioned that the learnt lexis of a discourse community was used for a common goal. I'm not sure if casual dialogue between friends is enough to say that we form a discourse community.

      Sohali, you mention that my friends and I have an established discourse community. Would you care to elaborate on why you think so?

      Delete
    3. Hi Hillary,

      I believe the learnt lexis comes from the history between you and these friends. Maybe as to specific events or people that you have collectively experienced and can speak about. In regards to the common goal, I feel as though the causal dialogue is enough to warrant a "goal". That being one of getting back in touch with one another and learning more about each others lives, between the time that has passed. Whether this is as simple as you reminding them of your actual age, or something that goes deeper, I feel that it does qualify you all as a discourse community.

      Delete
  4. It was interesting how you touched upon speech communities and the effects it has on different social groups. I can definitely relate to how people change the dynamics, tone, and vibe when they interact with people in or out of familiar cultural and social surroundings. For example, even though I am extremely friendly with everybody at my church, there are only a selective group of people I can be extremely vulnerable with, whereas with others I am more reserved. It definitely shows in the conversations we carry and in the way we express ourselves with one another.

    ReplyDelete